Hi Grade 7s.
I have been reading your lists of ten things (you are grateful for or things you know to be true) and first thing I want to say is thank you. A lot of you took the task seriously and shared a lot of meaningful bits --big and small; from what makes you laugh, what makes you feel loved, what makes you think, consider, wonder, trust, what you value, to what scares you, what makes you vulnerable, what makes you feel free, feel like yourself...everything that makes you who you are - as friend, sister, son, daughter, brother, music lover, techie, artist, pet owner, reader, clown. Thank you for that. Second thing is, I have been reading the poetry that came of that (and also from sitting with a lot of you to talk about it) and in a word, wow. Whether you were inspired by the material on your lists or not, your putting your heart on to the work and the page is the essence and foundation of poetry that moves, inspires and changes. Amazing work, guys. I can't wait to sit down and conference with the rest of you. :)
Now I know I have been silent for awhile and there is a reason for that (which will be explained in a post coming up soon after this). But as promised, here is my list of ten things I know to be true.
Thanks Sarah Kay, for a great idea and for putting us on a journey into ourselves that surprised us all. Here goes ...
1. Everything happens for a reason — no matter how wonderful, painful or traumatic. Even when I catch myself scratching my head or waving my fist in the air asking WHY?!?!!?..#$@%#!??, I quickly remember to let the worry go because if I trust enough, it all works out and mostly makes sense in the end anyway.
|Meet Mr. Marsellus|
3. Envy is poison. Locking your gaze on someone better or worse off than you is like warm venom slowly seeping through your veins. Soon, it'll reach your throat and close it for good.
|Slow and sure|
4. Spirituality and a strong relationship with God has nothing to do with religion or blind ritual. It's about conversation, investment and concentrated time with Him.
5. We teach others how to treat us and we define our own self worth.
|My brother and I: Happy feet|
6. I need to be that thing I am looking for before I find it, demand it, attract it and marry it.
|Joyful with a heart of gratitude|
7. Everything in the dark that we bring into the light will turn into light, and gray is more fun than black and white.
|Light heals us all|
|Black and white is overrated|
8. There is beauty in contradiction, complexity, and diversity. We are individuals separated by what makes us the same, connected by what makes us different.
|New Year's Day Smog in Manila|
9. I need to be alone sometimes even if I don't want to be alone sometimes.
|Ah, being alone. There's a certain dignity to it. - Singles|
Thanks for reading. Really loved everyone's lists. Leave a comment if there's something on here that you'd like to ask me about. :) Would love to hear from you.